Monday, April 18, 2011

Zombie America

     Did your mother ever tell you that "You are what you eat?" Maybe not? Maybe it was your nearly bearded aunt Deborah?
     Well to tell you the truth I can't really remember who it was that told me that either but I do know that I have heard it more than a few times.
     As I have lived and watched the trends come and go in our fair country there have been many that startle and in some cases frighten me. One of those trends fitting both descriptions is the rise of "zombie culture". To many this may seem a very small and unimportant form of entertainment. To me I feel that when you begin to consume too much of something you begin to display and in some cases emulate that very thing. So in this case America is being spoon fed zombies by so many different sources that it is actually beginning to seem like a zombie in and of it's self. Many times I have thought about the state of the economy and the nation as slowly rotting away and although many may see it as far fetched I believe there is more than just a little connection between America's never ending lust for more zombies and it's rotting morals, rotting economy and down right rotten politics.
     Now I am not a person who is against things that are a little fantastic and somewhat nerdy. I like video games. I read Eragon, Lord of the Rings and even Harry Potter heck I've read all of the Fable Haven Books as well. I think that if you throw a Zombie in a story to spice things up that's great. Even a full fledged movie or two about Zombie apocalypse is a fun idea to re-do the whole water world disaster or Equilibrium plot line. My issue is the now multi lingual multi marketed muli everythinged state of Zombification that our young people are actually passing through. When did America start sacrificing good quality entertainment (and key chains!) for the mindless rotten flesh of the undead? I think the last ten games that have come out for any gaming platform all have a "Zombie mode" if they are not just flat out about running around mindlessly blowing up chopping down and splattering zombies. These children and young people playing these games our our future leaders and business owners not to mention fast food hands. Heck the guys we have voted into office right now can hardly do their jobs WITH their brains what happens when our next generation get's elected by their fellow "Zombie parade" buddies and tries out being president thinking they want to eat brains?
     I think we should take a stand and not participate in the Zombification of America. Lets not kill lady liberty before her time I don't think she will look very good as a walking corpse. Don't let your children play zombie games or watch zombie movies or buy zombie key chains! It will literally rot their brains; and who knows, once theirs is rotten maybe they'll stagger around looking for some. If you are a person who likes Zombies and can't get enough of them; to you I say diversify your entertainment portfolio, look into the classics. Read Frankenstein; a true classic with a different view of an undead monster that will actually sharpen your mind and give you natural compassion and intelligence. Zombies are one of those cheap life experiences like Poke' Mon and McDonald's or Wal Mart and it's no co incidence that all of them are loaded. Cheap entertainment sells. Just like cheap food cheap diapers and cheap socket wrenches. Dedicate your time to something more constructive. Master "The Art of  Dedication".